Friday, July 24, 2009

Step One: Giving Up A Car and Public Transportation


I have not yet gotten to this phase in the book but my sister has and did a quick blog about it. I feel living without a car is not even an option in hilly New England. In fact the mere thought makes me shutter with fear. One can barely peddle a bike from point A to point B without running the risk of someday acquiring a set of man thighs as a result. No thanks.
There is a lady living not far from here...we have deemed her Ms. Walker as she walks everywhere, and has chosen to reside on top of Wolcott Mountain to boot! This woman is thin...sickly so...she even reads while she walks sometimes. I'm not sure of the circumstances surrounding her decision to walk but I can assure you her mental state cannot be "all there". You will see her walking with her bag of goods, groceries, or what have you up the four mile stretch of the mountain and then the two mile jaunt to her actual house. We shake our heads as we drive past wondering what sort of creature this is that would choose to walk so far for so little.
Although as I mentioned in a comment to my sisters post Public Transportation does not exist outside the city limits in these parts...and basically unless you are in the city and have hopes of going to another city... Public Transportation is useless. Perhaps it helps with the New England Charm to make it so nonexistant~ LOL. So needless to say a car is the only alternative in these parts. Not to mention one bag of groceries will never satisfy the appetities of the children or husband living within these four walls I call a home. I would need to pull a wagon on my weekly trip to the grocery store to get everything home in one trip.
For now I am able to dismiss (and justify my thinking) the thought of ever living car free in a society that has made Public Transportation accessible only to those who live in the city.
Does this mean I can't live GREEN?...of course not!

1 comment:

  1. sorry, i sneaked a peek at your new blog. but i had to say I KNOW THAT WOMAN YOU SPEAK OF. i totally remember her.

    ReplyDelete